homeaboutvarioustop destinationseventsdead or alive, famous norwegianstream, feed




Granvin in Norway Granvin municipality coat of arms


212,6 km2

Granvin Local Directory

Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Granvin

Granvin municipality has approximately 1.000 inhabitants and covers a area of 212,6 km2 in the County of Hordaland. The main attractions are Skjervsfossen waterfall, Espelandsfossen waterfall and Skorvefossen waterfall.


Kvanndal was inaccessible by road until around 1945. Today it is a traffic junction with ferry connections to Utne and Kinsarvik. Kvanndal have a Camp site, inn and garage. The Kvanndal valley have a beautiful, narrow valley with rich flora. Longeskor a mountain farm 386 metres above sea level, inhabited until 1909. There is a marked trail from Granvin and Folkedal via the Hålid summer farm. The present owner has restored the farmhouse. In 1797 the owner received a prize of 10 Riksdalar for the renovation of the "derelict Langeskor". During the winter of 1798 he had winter feed for 1 horse, 6 cows and 2 young cattle.


The valley lies along a detour from RV 7 - a small fjord side hamlat between Granvin and Kvanndal. The village played a central role for one of the most important routes between Hardanger and Voss (the Salt Road). Olav Haraldsson followed this route when he traveled from the royal farm at Avaldsnes to baptize the people of Voss. In Folkedal, scythes were produced until the 1950s. One of the forges is under restoration. On the opposite side of the fjord lies the small hamlet of Hamre, which became accessible by road towards the end of the 1980s.


The old timber-built houses near the quay are well preserved. Eide was the last station on the Hardanger railway between Granvin and Voss. Mælands Tourist Hotel was situated here (burned down 1984) and Haukanes Hotel is now Eidestova. Another of the old timber buildings which was previously a general store is now Erlings Cafe. Granvin has always been a junction for journeying to the interior of Hordaland. Artists patronizing Hardanger favored the way here. Thomas Fernley painted boat building in Eide in 1839 and the artist Fritz Thaulow and his household had a holiday home in Eide for many years. Hans Gude and Adolph Tidemand were also visitors.


Granvin had a hostel along ths route to Voss, a coaching inn above Vassenden (laka end) as well as the coaching station at Eide. Kongstun or the royal courtyard is exceptional. Mads Rasmussen lived here in 1674 and is the oldest of the hostel keepers known. Several followed until 1852 when Andreas Jaunsen, took over.


The village yard is situated in the center, same gateway as postal office. In Granvin Bygdatun you now find 5 buildings surrounding a yard. The oldest one is Holvenstova, a main house from the t9th century. Granvin Bygdemuseum with more than 1000 objects from the local community lies in the ground floor. In the basement of the cotter´s farm Løfloten there is an exhibition of the collection from the world famous botanist Johan Havaas.

In the village yard you also find ths memorial of the master fiddler Anders Kjerland. Seaaon: June 15 - August 15. The museum can be opened out of ssason by appointment.


The old Hardanger railway line, in use for soms 50 years is now a foot and cycle path between Eide and Nesheim - a peaceful tour with beautiful views over Granvin Lake. The footpath and cycling track continue from Skjervet to Voss.


A private collection of about 50 accordions and other musical instruments. The oldest instrument is a treasure from 1830 when accordions were in their infancy. The oollection is registsred as a museum and is to be found at Vindal, at a byroad to ths Old Post Road between Ulvik and Granvin.


In Vindal lies this 300 yeer old smokehouse and is to be found at a side road to the Old Post Road between Ulvik end Granvin. It is now used as a meeting house and for gatherings.


Old posting station and village store. In 1877 saw the heyday of post-horse travel with 339 post-horses to Voss, 109 to Eide and 24 to Brakanes in Ulvik. The village shop continues in the same building. There is a camp site and cabin rental in Upper Granvin at Rv13.


A mountain crag formed like a balcony on the Joberg mountain at Upper Granvin. According to folktale, thieves ravaged the area but no one know where they came from. Apparantly, a woman from Nesheim saw smoke curling up from the crag early one morning and she then understood where the thieves kept house. Two fellows from the village climbed up the Jobarg mountain where they diverted a stream so that the water ran down onto the crag. And so it was too wet for the gang of thieves. The stream can still be seen plunging from the Joberg mountain to Tjuvanotten.


The road went up from the church to Vindal, on to Vatnaset (summer farm) and over the mountain to Ulvik. It was used as a summer route between Granvin and Ulvik. The winter route went through Espelandsdalen vallay. The road today follows the same route Rv 572. Before Ulvik had its own post office, the people from Ulvik traveled over the mountains twice a week to collect their mail from Eide. They descended the mountain at Kjerland, a trip that took about 3 hours. There are several reminders of bygone days along the route; dwellings, ruins and restored summer farm buildings.


It was just possible, even in the middle ages, to make the journey from Voss, down the sheer rock wall of Skjervet and on to the fjord. Mention of the road to Angr (Granvin) is made in a road work distribution document from Voss, dated 1343. But the road down Skjervet was not passable for ragular wayfaring until the 1700s. The waterfall, Skjervafossen, consists of two falls, one above the other, with a total haight of 150 metres. Granvin Herad (local authority) purchased the waterfall for Kr 5000, in 1911. Picnic area, viewpoint and kiosk situated at the top of the fall.


Waterfall 150 metres high along Rv. 572. The river flows from Trollavatnet (lake) which is partially frozen all year. Highest point in the area is Olsskavlen, 1.575 metres above sea level.


Finds from the Stone Age and Viking period have been discovered in many areas of Granvin. A grindstone, found in scree at Nestås has been dated 2000 BC. by Prof. Brinchmann. Viking grave-mounds ara still visible at Trå and Kjerland.


The church and the churchyard lie in a turn that is so sharp that it can only be explained by way of love for the church and respct for God. In the loft is the beehive shaped church bell cast around 1100 and is one of the oldest in the Nordic countries. The present timber church was built in 1726. The soapstone font is from the Middle-Ages. The church interior is decorated with rose painting by Lars Osa (father to Sigbjørn Berhoft) and the altar was painted by Nils Bergslien.


Granvin offers all that a guest could wish for, fjord and mountain, high mountain plateaus and idyllic hamlets. Granvin is an area of many elevated hamlets with road access. These more elevated areas make a fine daparture for walking trips and with their panoramic views of the fjord, lakes and mountains are excellent areas for photography.


Small game hunting. For permits, please contact Heradshuset at Eide.


Haugeåsen skicentre offers cross country and touring ski trails, a total of 15 km. Internationally recognized slalom slope. A good departure point for ski-touring. Espelandsdalen, RV 572, or Skaftedalen. For the road to Skaftedalen, turn off the RV 13 at Skjervet.


The Granvin watercourse provides good possibilities for rod and otter board fishing for sea trout, salmon, char and eeal. The fishing season are from May - Mars for Granvin river, Granvin Lake, Kinso, Eio (Eidfjordvassdraget) and the river upstream to Skjervsfossen waterfall. Fishing permit for Granvin Lake and the main river to Skjervsfossen waterfall. Fishing permits can be purchased from Seim Camping, Granvin Hyttar & Camping, Soltun Rom og Hyttautleige, Erlings Café and Jaunsen Guesthouse. Fishing for mountain trout is possible in Espelands Lake, which lies along the RV 572 between Granvin and Ulvik. Fishing permit from Espelandsdalen Camping. All permit prices may be subject to change.

In Eidfjord and Granvin, it was common practice to make half-fermented trout out of mountain trout caught in mountain lakes and at Hardangervidda. Fishing has been a good supplementary industry for the farmers, and already in the late 19th century keen anglers started to emerge. From early on, this was very important to the tourism industry, and in an old book from Mæland hotel in Granvin you can see that tourists visiting in 1912 bought fishing permits for the Granvin Lake.


Golf Clubs in Hordaland.